Mountain bicycles or mountain bike are bicycles created for off-road cycling. They are very versatile though and can be used not only get their riders along dirt trails but also to even bring grocery home. There are many mountain bikes but before making a selection you need to keep in mind couple of pointers, to help you make the best choice. Firstly, bear in mind you’re riding reasons – basically the need for such a bicycle and not the usual one and then, your experience with them. Have you ever ridden a mountain bike before? Why do you want to buy it? Where are you planning to use it? Are you an experienced cyclist? Are you going to use just to build your stamina and fitness level?
You need to understand your reasons before you think of purchasing a mountain bike as they obviously cost more than the regular ones. Getting the best mountain bikes under 1000 dollars is very easy. You just have to search online on the World Wide Web or Google it and you are sure to find one which suits your needs and the prices matches your budget! What is a little tricky is to make sure that you are physically fit to use such a bike on a mountain trail or go out for that adventure with your friends or family. Is it because you want to learn something new or you are looking to explore a variety of trails? If you are physically fit and active, you will enjoy riding either a full-suspension bike or a hard-tail. Though we suggest a full-suspension bike, if you are suffering from or are prone to back or joint pains.
The best mountain bikes under 1000 dollars all advertise their bikes and some of the categories which you will hear quite often and which help you understand the bike better are “trail” – these are general – purpose mountain bikes for everything from single-track trails to dirt roads. “All mountains” – They are like trail bikes but with stronger frames and longer suspension travel. “Cross country” – These bikes are basically for competitions on tight turns and steep ascents and are nimble and light weight bikes. They are not suited for bearing jumping and landing impacts but are chosen for their speed, cornering and ascending.
There are other categories too while selecting the best mountain bikes under 1000 dollars – “Free ride and downhill” – They can easily absorb the impact of rocks, roots, jumps and bumps in their path. They are designed for going downhill at great speed and are carried to the top of the trail in a vehicle. “Dirt jump” – These bikes are best used by those who like performing aerial stunts. Once your fitness and the category are determined, your choice now depends on the trail you would be going on. The type of trail also should influence your purchase. There are many leading brands like Mongoose, Marin, Raleigh, Cannondale, Scott, GT, Novara and Diamondback.
If you’re looking for a list of mountain bikes that’s equipped with great features, but could also fit your budget, then you’ve come to the right site. We will show you a list of the best mountain bikes under 1000 dollars that you could proudly show off to your friends. But first, what is mountain biking?
Mountain biking is a fun sport that almost everyone is talking about. It uses specially designed bikes that could easily travel through off-road terrains like in mountain trailing or riding in Cross Country styles.
Mountain bikes are equipped with features that could withstand difficult and harsh terrains. The one riding the bike should learn or have the skills for bike handling, self-reliance, core strength, balance and endurance.
For a mountain bike to perform its best in the rough terrains, it should have the following basic parts: frames, brakes, seat post, handlebars, shifters, pedals, wheels, suspension system, saddles and derailleur.
Reviews about the some best product in market
Here are some short reviews about the products that are enumerated above that are considered as the best mountain bikes under 1000 dollars.
Diamondback 2015 Recoil Full Suspension Complete Mountain Bike
The Matte Titanium Recoil not only looks fantastic, but it’s always ready for a great ride with it’s Tuff Shock Coil rear suspension to soak up the bumps and it’s rugged 4 inch frame to handle any trail. With a SR Suntour XCT front fork you are bound to go farther and faster than you do on other bikes. This Diamondback features lots of premium components without a premium price.
If you can afford this bike, you would be crazy not to get it. It has a great ride thanks to it’s quality components and suspension parts, and it looks fantastic. All in all this is an excellent full suspension mountain bike that is sure to make you happy.
- Great looking bike
- Name-brand quality components
- The full suspension system gives it a comfortable ride
- Disc brakes are very nice
- There isn’t much bad to say about this bike
Diamondback Bicycles 2014 Overdrive Sport Mountain Bike with 29-inch Wheels
There are three features that make the diamondback bicycles very special. The tires which users can choose between 26, 27.5 and, the most popular, 29 inches are the sizes that would be perfect for this type of bike. The 29er mountain bike is the most chosen size for the overdrive because the users can easily manipulate the bike. As well as control the speed and traction of the bike.
The brakes of the diamondback mountain bike are hydraulic discs that could protect your rims and brake pads from mud and water. This gives the user of the bike confidence that he could easily stop anytime and anywhere. The suspension is made from 100mm travel suspension fork of the SR Suntour which gives the 29er mountain bike the plushest and smoothest brakes that will give you supreme comfort and control.
Mongoose Status 3.0 26-inch dual-suspension mountain bike
The Mongoose Status 3.0 26-inch dual-suspension mountain bike is equipped with everything you need for trail riding, featuring a full suspension frame that maximizes comfort and performance, along with an SR suspension fork designed to smooth bumps and increase control. Combine this with a 24 speed Shimano rear derailleur for all types of riding and you’re set to go.
- This bike looks great
- pretty solid construction
- dual disc brakes
- smoothes bumps and increases control
- defective rear brake caliper bolt
- the caliper is slightly less than 1 mm away from the disc
There are several other bikes with similar features as this Mongoose and they were several hundred dollars more! The bike is solidly built but unsure if this is truly a mountain bike as opposed to a trail or cruising bike as the shocks are not really meant for very rough terrain.
Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hard Tail Complete Mountain Bike
Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hard Tail Complete Mountain Bike combines the perfect blend of hardtail performance with rugged utility. There are still several situations where you’re better off on a hardtail than a full-suspension mountain bike, such as when riding to class, dirt jumping, riding on smoother trails, or just cruising around the neighborhood.
The Response Sport also offers several upgrades from the base-model Response, including a SRAM ISO-Flow crank set with replaceable chain rings, Hayes mechanical disc brakes, and Weinmann double-wall rims.
- It works nicely
- Shifts well
- Easy to assemble
- Good price
- Nice ride
- Doesn’t have rear shock
- Seat was a little on the hard side
If this will be your first entry in the true mountain bike category, you’re probably not going to find a better buy for your money. This bike features a kick-ass frame that will withstand the punishment without any problems. It’s very easy to assemble and you’re going to love the trigger shifters.
Diamondback Bicycles 2015 Trace Complete Dual Sport Bike
First of all, this isn’t a mountain bike but rather a trail and road bike that you’re going to enjoy riding for a long time. You’ll need just the smallest excuse to take it out for a quick ride over and over again. This Diamondback is going to fill all of your requirements for street and trail riding with the new suspension fork.
- Can easily upgrade the parts in the future as needed
- Good quality product
- Quick setup
- The frame and components are a bit on the heavy side
- No rear shock
The Lux hard tail complete women’s mountain bike
The Lux hard tail complete women’s mountain bike is one of the best mountain bikes for women this 2015. It is considered as one of the best mountain bikes for all women because it has a “sexy” and “pretty” design.
This mountain bike has 6061-T6 aluminum frame with Devine Design that’s specific for the liking of every woman and is lightweight. It has Shimano Acera 9-speed rear derailleur and hydraulic disc brakes that makes the bike easy to control. It also has SR Suntour 100mm travel suspension fork and 27.5 inches wheels that’s very good for travelling.
So if you’re looking for a women’s hard tail mountain bike that’s under $1000, the Lux Complete 2015 from Diamondback is the way to go. Its cheap price incorporates features that are great in entry level bikers for mountain trailing.
Some of the benefits that you can get when you buy a mountain bike that’s under $1000
If you’re thinking of buying one of the best mountain bikes under 1000 dollars that is listed above, then you would need to know some of the benefits when you’re cycling. Riding a bike is one of the easiest exercises that you could do outside your house. You can do it by yourself or with your friends and family.
Cycling also helps our eco-system because it doesn’t produce any smoke or you wouldn’t need any gas. Research also shows that cycling a couple of hours or miles every week could help you improve your mind, body and soul in so many ways. HHere are just some of the best benefits that you could easily gain in cycling:
Benefits of buying a bike under 1000 dollars:
- Low price – Buying a low priced mountain bike doesn’t mean that it has low quality features. Bikes that costs 1000 dollars or less also has qualities that will make your every penny count. Some of these bikes are also known for its reputation to withstand any condition and can go over any terrain.
- Save your money – If you’re just beginning in the world of mountain trailing, then it would save you more money when you buy a cheap buy. Not only does it make you practice more, but you won’t have to worry about wrecking a buy that’s too expensive. It also saves your money when you try to repair or change its gears because its parts will be much cheaper compared to high pricing bikes.
Not only you have a suitable bike with you buget it also good for your health and skills benefits:
- Coordination skills – While you’re using both your hands to steer, circling both your feet to pedal and balancing your weight in the bike, you’re already improving your coordination skills in every ride.
- Managing your weight – Cycling could help you manage your weight and diet during and after every ride. Riding a bike faster than your usual leisure pace can improve your metabolism and help gain down your weight.
- Mental health – Research says that riding a bike could easily improve one’s self-esteem and reduces depression from stress. When riding on the country side or in a peaceful area, breathing fresh air could rejuvenate both the mind and soul.
- Improve muscles – Cycling builds your muscles, especially your: thighs, rear end and calves. It’s also great for your hips and legs because of the circling movements.
- Immune system – If you’re cycling a couple of hours a week, there’s a big chance that you’re helping yourself improve your immune system and easily fight off diseases and even cancer.
- Heart – Studies shows that almost 50% of people cycling has bigger chances of not having any heart diseases compared to people who do not.
- Increase lifespan – Because of all the benefits of cycling, you will surely increase the chances of living longer than to those who don’t.
Difference between full suspension and hard tail suspensions
When it comes to mountain trailing, bikers could choose between two types of suspensions. This will depend upon the riding preferences of the biker and how much control you would want to have. The two types of suspension are: hard tail and full suspension.
Hard tails are mountain bikes that only have suspension in the front wheel. It helps minimize the effects of the force in the arms and hands while on rough terrains and give maximum control. It is mostly preferred by bikers who travel through easy terrains and lightweight mountain bikes with cheap price.
Full suspension mountain bikes have both wheels suspended. It gives the rider more control and comfort over the bike. Plus, it reduces fatigue over the rider when it difficult terrains. Because of its advantages, the full suspension weighs and costs a little higher than the hard tail mountain bikes.
Basic components of a mountain bike that you need to know
Here is a list of the basic components that completes a mountain bike. You should first understand these basic components so that when you have damaged your bike, you can easily repair or replace the existing product that you have.
We have tackled the suspensions of a mountain bike above. Again, there are two types of suspensions; the hard tail and full suspension. If you’re a beginner in mountain biking, it is advised that you start with a full suspension mountain bike for you to have maximum control over the bike and all possible terrains.If you’re already an amateur, semi-pro or pro in mountain biking, then you can choose whatever suspension you like. It all comes down to your preferences of control, comfort and price of the bike.
There are two things to know about the frame of a mountain bike, the material that is used and the frame size that should be appropriate to the height of the user.
First, let’s tackle the materials that are usually used for a frame of a mountain bike. There are 4 types of materials that could be used, these are: steel, carbon fiber, titanium and aluminum. Out of these 4 materials, aluminum is mostly used in mountain biking because it’s lightweight, inexpensiveness and strong characteristics. Carbon fiber and titanium is also strong and lightweight and it can be very expensive when you’re looking for a mountain bike that’s under $1000. Steel is durable and strong, but it could be very heavy for the preferences of mountain biking.
Second, the frame’s size should be appropriate to the biker’s body proportion. If you’re going to look for a bike, there are two things that you should know. The first one is when you sit on the bike with one foot on the pedal; your knee should be slightly bent. This way, you’ll know that your seat height is just right for you. Second, when you’re sitting on the bike and you reach for the handlebar, be sure that you’re not too much crunched up or too stretched out.
Wheel Size – The size of wheels is very important if you’re planning to go through different types of terrains. Here is a quick guide for you to know the differences between the sizes of the wheels nowadays:
This is much more suitable for children’s mountain bikes because it accommodates people with short legs. It can also be seen in adult mountain bikes, but it can only accommodate simpler components.
It is very light and easy to have fast pace riding. The downside to this size is that it cannot easily roll over large obstacles.
It’s a combination of attributes of the 26 and 29 inches wheels. It can easily roll over large obstacles and is fast to accelerate. It can also accommodate both tall and short bikers.
It can easily roll over large obstacles, but is slow to accelerate. It’s the heaviest of all the wheel sizes because it must have larger rims and a lot more rubber.
Brake – This is the most critical area in the field of safety. There are two types of brakes, these are: rim brake and disc brake.
- Rim brake – This is more a traditional point of brake. The wheels are gripped with a pad that slows down the bike when necessary. It’s cheaper than disc brake and should only be changed when it’s already worn out. It is less effective in muddy conditions and has a low stopping ability.
- Disc brake – The grip is now attached to the hub of the wheel. This allows the bike to stop in all weather conditions and to stop instantly. When it comes to repairing the disc brake, it could be a little complicated because of its advancement.
Overall, the disc brake is recommended for all mountain bikes because it has the highest safety percentage compared to the rim brake. Be sure that you install it properly or hire a professional to do it or repair it.
Gear – The last component that your bike should have is the gear. Gear differentiates mountain bikes from all the other bikes. When you’re going to travel through different terrains, make sure that you are equipped with the right gear.
For entry level mountain bikers, it is recommended that they should have a gear that has 24 speeds with 8 rear sprockets and 3 front chainrings. For mountain bikers that are already common to the sport, the gear should be 27 speeds with 9 rear sprockets and 3 front chainrings.
Basic accessories that you would need to bring before going on an adventure
Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, bringing the appropriate accessories before heading to your mountain trailing is very important. Here are some basic tools and equipment that you would need to bring in order for your trailing to be successful:
- Bike helmet – It’s already given that you should always wear your helmet if you’re going to go around with your bike. It’s a safety procedure that everyone should follow so that you could have an extra protection if ever an accident happens.
- Bike gloves – Gloves are also very important because, without it, your hands could really get a beating with all the trailing. It is crucial that you always wear your gloves so that it could protect your hands, especially if you’re a tight gripper.
- Bike shorts – In mountain trailing, you shouldn’t wear any kind of shorts. There are a lot of bike shorts out there that is exclusive in mountain trailing. These types of shorts are padded and will make you feel more comfortable while you’re on the road.
- Bike shoes – Picking a shoe can depend on the type of pedal that you have and the type of terrain you travel to. The shoe must be comfortable and durable. For you to have a better pedalling effectiveness, the sole of the shoe should be stiff.
- Eye protection – While you’re on a trail, there could be a lot of dirt, bugs and wind. Make sure that you protect your eyes with clear-lensed glasses or sunglasses that are non-breakable so that your eyes will be protected from all the unwanted dirt.
- Hydration Pack – This type of bag is exclusive for biking. It can carry your water with not more than 100 oz. You can also put your other essential things into this bag.
- Tire Levers – If you have punctured your tires while on your trail, tire levers could help you big time. It could change your flat tires effectively and efficiently.
- Spare Tube – If you have a flat tire and it can’t be repaired anymore, spare tube can still get you home even if you have flats.
- CO2 Cartridge – This tool can help you fill in the empty tube or tire much faster.
- SRAM PowerLink – This is one of the most important tools that you would need to have. If one of your chains breaks down in the middle of the trail, the SRAM PowerLink can help you reconnect your chain even if you don’t press in the pins.
- Nutrition Products – When you’re biking, you can burn a lot of nutrients and calories, so be sure to replenish them. Nutrition products are like snack bars that will enable you to get back the nutrients and still control your weight. This gives the necessary electrolytes that will get you moving while on a light stomach.
- Electrolyte Pills – This can solve your problems with fatigue and cramps even when you’re still on your trail.
- Towel/Tissue – It could get very messy if you’re repairing your bike while on the trail, so this could be very handy to clean out all the mess.
- Mini-pump – This can inflate your flat tire without any hassle. It’s very compact and lightweight so you can easily put it inside your pack.
- Spare Derailleur Hanger – There are a lot of incidents were you hit a rock or a large object and the first thing that usually gives is your rear derailleur. In this event, your spare derailleur hanger can replace your damaged derailleur.
- Shock Pump – This is only optional, but it can come in handy when your suspensions are made of air shocks. You can easily adjust your suspensions depending to your liking.
- Multi-tool – This little pack has almost every tool that you would need for you to repair your bike while you’re on the trail.
- ID card – If you happen to have an accident on the trail, this little card could really save your life.
- First Aid Kit – This small kit can help you or your companion become safe while you’re travelling.
Guide to choose the best mountain bike under $1000
Mountain biking is a fun sport and hobby. It doesn’t only keep you fit and healthy, but it also allows you to relax your mind and body from all your hard work. It also gives you an extra time to be with your family and friends.
When looking for a mountain bike that you will use, there are certain factors that you should consider. When you have a fixed budget in mind, you should know the best features that you can get from it and what type of bikes or gears you should avoid.
Here is a simple guide for you to choose the best mountain bike under $1000. It includes certain factors that you should know about before buying a bike.
Factors that you should consider before buying a bike
- Riding style – The first thing that you should think about is your style of riding. There are certain features of a bike that specializes in a style of riding a bike.
- You should determine if you’re a casual rider who loves to ride in smooth terrains an aggressive rider who prefer climbing step terrains and going down in fast speed.
- Terrain – You will also need to know what type of terrain you will be riding on smooth rails that has occasional rocks and bumps can be done with a basic mountain bikes or a hard tail. But if you’re going on a terrain that’s rougher, then you should consider buying a full suspension or a hardtail 29er.
- Brand – It is only wise that you invest in a mountain bike that has a brand-name. This way you not only get components and gears that have high quality, but you will also have warranty with the bike parts.
- Suspension – There are two types of suspension that you can choose from. First, the hardtail bikes which has a front suspension fork that reduces the fatigue in your hands and arms. It also enhances your steering control when you’re on a rough terrain. This is mostly seen on all-around bikes.
- Second is the full-suspension bike which has an equipped suspension in both wheels. This is more expensive compared to a hardtail because it gives you more control and comfort. It specialize rough and difficult terrain.
- Wheel size – There are three kinds of wheels in a mountain bike. The 26” has a regular grip and traction when you’re going through rough terrains. The 29” wheels are slow to accelerate and a little heavier, but it has excellent traction and very easy to go over obstacles. And now the 27.5” has all the advantages of the 26” and the 29”.
- Frame – The frame of the bike can come with aluminum which is affordable and lightweight; steel which is heavy, smooth, cheap and strong; titanium which is light, strong but also expensive; and lastly, carbon fiber which is light, tough and also expensive.
- Brake: There are two types of brakes, the disc brake and rim brakes. Disc brakes are very common because it’s consistent in braking in all weather conditions, but it can be expensive to maintain and replace. The rim brakes are cheap and economical which makes it common to entry-level bikes. The downside to this type of brake is that they usually wear the rim wheel. It’s less powerful and efficient compared to disc brakes.
The best mountain bikes under 1000 dollars that is enumerated above have all their advantages and disadvantages. Some of the bikes are under $500 that is cheaper, but has lesser quality of specifications. Some of these bikes are also limited to entry level of mountain trailing because their features are simpler than the others.
Always be sure to check your bike properly before going for a ride. Try checking the brake system and the drivetrain. If you’re going on a mountain trailing, always be equipped with the proper attire so that you will only have minimum effects of travelling and all the bumping.
Remember that there are other bikers that you may come across with. If you see that they are in trouble and they do not have any equipment to repair their bike, offer them a helping hand or give them the tools that they need. There had been a lot of incidents that lives were saved because of this type of attitude by bikers and it is always good that we become a part of this community.
If you ever decide which of the best mountain bikes under 1000 dollars you would buy, make sure that it is appropriate for your style of cycling. And soon, you can have fun and enjoy the thrill of mountain biking.