Mountain trailing is a fun and exciting hobby. You can experience fast pace riding, climb a steep mountain, and try out some stunts and tricks from drops and many more. Any level of biker can do mountain trailing, all you need is a bike, proper equipment, guts and you’re all set for the challenge.
Mountain bikes come from different sizes, styles and prices. Depending on the stability, weight and features of the bike, the more expensive or cheaper your bike is. If you’re a beginner in the world of mountain trailing, you don’t need to have a very expensive bike. There are a lot of mountain bikes out there coming from $1000 to full $3000.
This article will help you know the best mountain bikes under $500 out there in the market. Not only will it be lighter in your pocket, but you won’t be scared to scratch or wreck it because it’s cheap.
Top 4 best mountain bikes under $500
For you to know more about the best mountain bikes that is well under $500, here is a short list of the top 4 bikes that are recognized as the best in the market:
Diamondback Bicycles Recoil Trail Full Suspension Mountain Bike with 27.5” Wheels
It has an aluminum frame that’s has an optimized single pivot design with 4” travel for the coil shock and oil damping. It’s very durable and is just around 34lbs. It also has 120mm of travel with its Suntour XCM suspension fork that has an external adjustment for you to easily adjust the fork according to your weight and style of riding.
Its disc brakes are made by Tektro Aires that is dependable whenever you need to stop even in any condition. It has Suntour triple chainring crank with 8 cog cassette that will give you 24 speeds to choose from when mountain trailing. Plus, the 27.5” wheels have double walls which handle more impact and make the rim stronger.
Users say that they are very much happy about this mountain bike because it’s lightweight, easy to assemble, stable and is easy on the pocket. Every feature is mentioned to be solid and can be very dependable.
Schwinn High Timber Men's 18 Mountain Bike, 18-Inch/Medium, White
It has the new Schwinn body for mountain bikes with a Schwinn suspension fork. It has 21 speed Shimano twist shifters and a rear derailleur made also by Shimano for easy adjustments. You can trust its brakes that are made by Alloy V that is matched by its Alloy V wheels with 3 piece alloy cranks.
This mountain bike is fully recommended by its verified purchasers because it works pretty well even if it’s under $500. The features have good quality and are perfect for its price.
Mongoose Cache 26 inches Men's Mountain Bike, Grey
It has a Mongoose aluminum full suspension frame with front suspension fork. It also has Shimano 21 speed rear derailleur with twist shifters by SRAM. For a powerful brake system, it has a linear pull rear brake and a front disc brake. It has Alloy wheels that is very easy to use and is lightweight.
There are a lot of negative comments about the delivery of the pieces of the bike because some of its parts are damaged or broken. Although the customer service is helpful and fast to react, many buyers agree that the Mongoose should reconsider the parts that they deliver and their packaging. When used, the bike works well according to its price.
Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hard Tail Complete Mountain Bike
It has a 6061-T6 heat-treated aluminum alloy frame that comes with a replaceable derailleur hanger. It has Shimano 3-speed front derailleur and 7-speed rear derailleur for 21 combinations of its different gears. It’s equipped with a linear pull braking system for fast stopping. It also has Shimano shifters for easy and reliable shifting.
Many users mentioned that this mountain bike is lightweight and very easy to use. Its braking system works very well and the Shimano components are trustworthy.
Factors to consider before buying the best mountain bike under 500 dollars
If you’re going for a mountain bike and your budget is under $500, then there are certain factors that you should consider. This is important because not all bikes are the same; the features are different when you choose a bike under $500, $1000 or more.
Here are certain things that you should remember:
- Suspension – When your mountain bike is under $500, it is better that you choose a mountain bike that’s a hardtail. Full suspension bikes are a little too heavy for these types of bike. While hardtail suspension is more versatile and easy to control. At this price point, full suspension usually has cheap quality which, in the end, you would still need to control your mountain bike like a hardtail.
- Braking system – With a mountain bike that’s under $500, it is recommended that you go for a bike that has a disc brake or linear pull brake. This will make it easy for you to stop anytime even in different type of conditions.
- Components – A lot of experts suggests that you go for a mountain bike that has a branded shifter like SRAM or Shimano. This will help you change your gears smoothly and quickly.
- Frame – When it comes to the frame of the mountain bike, it is recommended that you go for an aluminum frame or a chromoly. It’s lightweight and very strong for its price.
- Weight – You can’t get a bike that’s light as a feather at this price, and most of the bikes at this price range would be quite heavy. But it’s still important that you choose a bike that’s light and easy to move around. Overall, it won’t matter that much because you won’t be carrying it around everytime.